Ecotools Brushes

ecotools

Ecotools recently released some new brushes, and since I love the one brush that I already have I thought I would give them a try.

I purchased the Fresh & Flawless five piece complexion set, the Domed Bronzer, and the Detailed Lip Brush.  The complexion set came in a cardboard gift set box while the other two brushes each came in a reusable plastic and cloth eco pouch.

Ecotools have handles that are made from sustainable bamboo and ferules that are made from recycled aluminum.  The bristles are synthetic so they are animal cruelty-free.

Compared with my old brush, the bristles on the new brushes are darker and feel more synthetic?  I can't really describe the difference but there is one.  My old brush is either the blush or powder brush (it's been so long that I can't remember), that I have had for about five or six years now and it has held up very well. All the brushes are nice and soft which I like.  These brushes are some of the best available for the price.  I would definitely recommend them to beginners and anyone looking for eco-friendly makeup tools.

ecotools, ecotools domed bronzer, tarte bamboo foundation brush

When compared to my tarte airbrush finish bamboo foundation brush, the ecotools Domed Bronzer appears similar in size and function.  The ecotools bronzer handle is slightly longer and thicker while the tarte foundation brush has fuller and thicker bristles.  The ferule on the ecotools bronzer is also longer than on the tarte foundation brush.  The bristles on the ecotools brush are synthetic while the bristles on the tarte brush look more natural but I am not sure what they are because it does not say on the box.

I tested these brushes with face powder, powder blush, and I took the opportunity to try out my new Limited Edition Maybelline Dream Sun Bronzer Four Seasons in Light.  I applied each using a circular buffing motion as recommended by both manufacturers for application and blending.  I also tried applying the bronzer using a back and forth motion on the cheeks for contouring.  I was pleased with the results of both brushes.  The tarte foundation brush picks up more powder and thus yields a more pigmented finish while the ecotools created a more natural finish.  I preferred the more natural finish of the ecotools brush for face powder and bronzer but I like to have more pigment for blush so I will probably stick with a blush brush.  The Maybelline bronzer applied evenly but with the over application of the tarte brush it came out almost orange looking on my skin.  The ecotools brush gave a more sheer application which looked nice and natural.  I may have to use this as my everyday bronzer from now on.

ecotools, ecotools brush set, ecotools fresh & flawless brush set

ecotools, ecotools brush set, ecotools fresh & flawless brush set

ecotools, ecotools brush set, ecotools fresh & flawless brush set

The ecotools Fresh & Flawless five piece complexion set is a travel size set of brushes that claim to give a "smooth airbrush finish." The ferules on these feature colorful designs which is a nice addition. As you can see from the last photo, the brushes are quite small.  I have the regular powder/blush brush next to the travel size one.

The packaging includes a guide inside the box that tells you what each brush is for:

#1 is the flat concealer brush for covering blemishes with liquid concealer
I found this brush to be quite stiff which is common for concealer brushes.  I prefer to use my fingers when applying concealer because I feel that it helps set the concealer better and provides more natural coverage.

#2 is the buffing concealer brush for covering blemishes with liquid or powder concealer
This brush was fluffier than the flat concealer brush and when I used a buffing motion it simply buffed the concealer right off my skin!  I had to use a very light hand to get it just right.  In a pinch, you could also use this to apply eyeshadow.

#3 is the precision foundation brush for applying foundation and concealer
This is supposed to be a regular foundation brush but the tip is elongated to get into the tight contours of the face.  This applied foundation like any typical foundation brush in that I have to do a lot of patting and blending to achieve full coverage.  I prefer to use either my hands or a sponge when applying foundation.

#4 is the complexion blending brush for an airbrush finish with liquid or powder foundation
I like this brush better than the precision foundation brush because it was easier to buff the foundation on for a more natural look.  I also used this to buff cream blush on my cheeks and was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out.  I would say this is my favorite brush from the set because of it's versatility.

#5 is the full powder brush for applying powder, blush, or bronzer
This brush is just too small for the job.  It applied too much powder product and was difficult to use for buffing and blending out the products.  I had to blot powder on and then swirl it around to try and blend it out but it still went on quite heavy for some reason.  It worked best with bronzer for contouring the cheeks.

Overall this is a nice set to have for traveling if you are worried about taking more expensive brushes with you but it would not be my first choice for travel.  While the brushes are pretty they are hit or miss when it comes to being useful.

ecotools, ecotools lip brush, ecotools detailed lip brush

I was very dissapointed with the ecotools Detailed Lip Brush. I was really wanting this to work well because I need a travel lip brush and the lid on this one, while it does not lock together, does fit on tightly enough that I would not worry about it coming loose in my purse. I tested this with Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids Lipstick in 875 Vivid Rose.  No matter how much product I packed on my lips I just could not get it anywere near the vivid color that applies straight from the tube.  After several layers of lipstick all I got was a sheer wash of color that would work for daytime, but I really don't need a lip brush to achieve the kind of color I could get from a pigmented lip balm.

ecotools

Here are the full size brushes just to show their size.

You can get ecotools brushes and more at Ulta Beauty.

Don't forget to enter the giveaways!  Entry closes on May 11, 2013 at 12:00 P.M.

Comments

Popular Posts