Sample this Sample that


I have decided to dedicate June to getting through my sample collection.  As you can see I am overloaded with products.  When sampling or testing new products I use a certain method to try and prevent bad reactions.

For women, the best time to try a new product is at the start of a new menstrual cycle; This is because levels of the hormone progesterone are at their lowest which means less probability of getting acne. I will test products up until a week before my next cycle because I have hormonal acne that flares up around that time.

Men have it easier in that they don't have to time product use, unless you are using a hormone substitute medication.  As more men are finding it okay to have a daily face and body routine more products that are gender specific are emerging. I don't really know if it makes any difference using gender specific products because my brother uses my products and I have used his and not had any adverse reactions. I will say that some guys may get embarrassed toting a pink bottle of body wash to the gym, but may have no reserves about using it at home; My brother LOVES my Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Body Wash because it clears up bacne like nothing else ;-)


When I test new products I don't change my entire routine at the same time. I try one or two products at a time by working them into my existing routine. For example, if I am trying a face wash I substitute it for my normal face wash but keep using my normal toner, moisturizer, etc. This is to try and rule out potential irritants. If I am using a new face wash and the same moisturizer I have been using for a while and my face suddenly flares up it is safe to assume that it's the face wash.

Sometimes I run out of things and have to use two new products together in which case I test one product for a day and then add the second product the next day. For example, if I am testing a new face wash and moisturizer together I would wash my face the first day and wait for reactions and if everything goes well I will add the moisturizer the next day. Sometimes the combination of products together are what cause a reaction so make sure to read the ingredients list on each new product you use to see if their is a potential for mixing reactions like over-drying due to using two products containing lots of drying ingredients like salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, etc.

Even when you do everything right something can still go wrong.  Not all products will work for you and many will cause you to break out for various reasons.  Products can clog the pores even when they claim to be non-comedogenic.  Sometimes a product stimulates such quick cell turnover that you end up with a few zits by the end of the day.  It is normal for me to break out when first using products because my skin is adjusting.  I try to stick with a product for at least a week before making a decision to stick with it or ditch it; However, if a product is causing a severe reaction like excessive redness, peeling, itchiness, painful burning or stinging, then I will immediately stop using it.

Comments

Popular Posts