Weekly Sample Selections #4

kendrixloves samples image

This weeks selections focus mainly on skincare samples by the brand fresh that I have received from Sephora over the last year.

fresh skincare soy face cleanser review

fresh Soy Face Cleanser

This cleanser is designed for all skin types to gently remove impurities and makeup without stripping the face of natural moisture. It is a very gently cleanser which is good for sensitive acne-prone skin and it removes light makeup but not heavier makeup like full foundation and eye makeup. The texture is gel like and it is a sheer milky color like the water from a tofu package. It also smells like tofu which is good or bad depending on your feelings regarding tofu.

Pros: gentle and safe for sensitive skin; removes light makeup; smells like tofu (soy)
Cons: does not remove heavy makeup; smells like tofu (soy)

fresh skincare lotus youth preserve face cream review

fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream

I actually received four samples, but when I took the picture I only had three. This daily anti-aging moisturizer boasts 24-hour moisture that prevents the visible signs of aging, like wrinkles, and improves skin radiance. It contains "Super 7 Complex" which is a blend of 7 anti-aging ingredients with the main ingredient being lotus flower extract.  It has a thick creamy texture so you don't need to use a lot to feel moisturized.  When I first layered it on my skin I would get really shiny (oily) during the day so I used a light amount the second day and that seemed to work out a lot better.  There is no scent to the product that I can perceive from these samples.  I used this twice a day, as directed, in conjunction with the Black Tea Mask and the Rose Face Mask so I'm not sure of it's effects all by itself.  I did see a noticeable improvement in the tiny wrinkles on my forehead after a couple of days of using these products.

Pros: very moisturizing; works to prevent the signs of aging
Cons: thick texture can add too much moisture for oily skin

fresh skincare black tea instant perfecting mask review

fresh Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask

When I received this sample there was no information about the product or recommended use.  From the name I expected this to be a clarifying mask to clean pores or something like that but apparently it's an anti-aging mask.  I looked up on the fresh website that this mask uses an antioxidant made from black tea ferment to hydrate, smooth, and firm the skin.  There is supposed to be an immediate cooling sensation to refresh the skin which is kind of true. It did feel slightly cool when applied but in a more moisturizing way than tingling.  The texture is a whipped creme that smells like Kombucha which is good or bad depending on your feelings for Kombucha;  It applies in a thin layer that absorbs quickly so you can layer it on depending on how dry your skin feels.  You can use this mask after cleansing for 5-10 minutes for a dose of hydration or, for ideal results, you can leave it on overnight.  I left it on overnight to see the full benefit which was smoother skin.  This mask is meant to be used 2-3 times a week.

Pros: moisturizing; anti-aging, smells like Kombucha
Cons: not a clarifying mask (not really a con but the title is confusing); smells like Kombucha

fresh skincare rose face mask review

fresh Rose Face Mask

This face mask is infused with real rose petals and rosewater to hydrate and tone skin.  The rosewater, along with aloe vera and cucumber extract, produce a cooling effect similar to that of the Black Tea Mask.  The difference between the two masks is that this one is more about repair and the other one is more about prevention.  Also, this is a serum type mask while the Black Tea Mask can be used in place of a nighttime moisturizer;  The texture of this mask is a gel while the other is a whipped creme.  This mask is the color of honey and smells like rose petals mixed with an undercurrent of Kombucha.  You apply it after cleansing the face for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off to reveal smoother, firmer, brighter skin.

Pros: moisturizing; anti-aging; smells like rose petals
Cons: smells like rose petals mixed with Kombucha

You can find out more about these products at fresh.com.

john frieda root awakening purify & and nourish shampoo conditioner review for oily scalp & and dry hair

John Frieda Root Awakening Purify & Nourish: For Oily Scalp & Dry Hair Shampoo and Conditioner

I purchased these two samples last year from Target for $1 each.  I was drawn to the idea of hair products designed for "oily scalp & dry hair" which describes me pretty well.  The first time I tried them I immediately did not like them.  They are formulated without sulfates and because my scalp is so oily I have a really hard time with sulfate free shampoos.  I have been coloring my hair for a while so my hair gets dry but my darn scalp produces oil like a BP spill.  The first time I tried these I think it was around September just after I had colored my hair dark again for fall.  I think that when I get highlights it is more drying so my hair absorbs the oil more.  I say all this because I decided to give these products another try this summer after getting a full head of highlights.  This time around the products worked well for me.  I wash my hair 2-3 times a week, sometimes less.  I did use a clarifying shampoo once a week in conjunction with these products.

The shampoo uses peppermint and eucalyptus extracts to cleanse, nourish, and purify hair and the scalp.  It has a thick gel texture that does not lather or tingle because it is sulfate free.  The scent is kinda minty and kinda eucalyptusy at the same time which makes for a rather interesting fragrance;  It is a really light scent so it should not disturb you if you don't like it because it does not linger.

Pros: free of harmful chemicals; cleanses scalp without stripping essential moisture; smells like peppermint combined with eucalyptus
Cons: sulfate free may not work for you; smells like peppermint combined with eucalyptus

The conditioner uses the same extracts and moisturizes without leaving an oily build-up on the scalp.  The fragrance of this product is similar to the shampoo but stronger and I also detect a light floral scent added to it.

Pros: moisturizes without leaving build-up; smells like flowery peppermint combined with eucalyptus
Cons: not the most moisturizing conditioner

So while I like these products I am still not completely sold on them.  I still prefer a shampoo with sulfates because they leave my hair feeling cleaner.

You can find out more about these products at johnfrieda.com.

Comments

Popular Posts