Weekly Sample Selections #6



The last round of samples for August.

7th heaven naturals moroccan clay gentle exfoliating masque mask review

7th Heaven Naturals Moroccan Clay Gentle Exfoliating Masque

Sample from Eco Emi Subscription Box

At first this product reminded me of masks from a very similar company that you can buy in the sample size bins at Ulta. The difference is that those masks appear to come from Asia while this brand appears to come from Canada.

This is a clay mask that uses Rhassoul clay, apricot, argan shell, marula oil, cinnamon oil, sesame, and orange to exfoliate the skin and draw out impurities. I could smell the oils and the cinnamon which made for a pleasant light herbal scent. There are no clear directions on how to use this product, just three pictures that say "Rinse, Exfoliate, and Wash." I took this to mean that you are supposed to dampen the skin before applying the mask, then I spread the mask over my face and neck using a gentle buffing motion. I applied it fairly thick which may have been a mistake because the mask became quite tight on my face once dry. It took about 10 minutes for it to dry. The texture starts as a brown, gritty gel and dries into a grey clay. My face felt clean and exfoliated after using this mask meaning it works as it should.

Pros: exfoliates; draws out impurities
Cons: slightly drying; uncomfortable when dry

You can find out more about this product at 7thheavennaturals.com.

traditions by nick chavez yucca root conditioning cream review

Nick Chavez Yucca Root Conditioning Cream

Sample free with purchase from Ulta

So the description of this product says to get hair damp with warm water, work a small amount of the shampoo into the roots of your hair, then rinse with cool water. I think that the description was printed wrong because this is the conditioner, not the shampoo (There is also a Yucca Root Shampoo.)  I ended up with hair that was greasy instead of clean. It took several rinses to get my hair to feel cleaner, but it was still quite slick. Only when I got out of the shower and began researching the product did I find the problem; This product is meant to be a moisturizer and not a cleanser. That being said, when my hair began to dry it felt more normal so it was not too much of a problem. At least I had given my hair a dose of moisture that it needed.

Pros: moisturizing
Cons: not cleansing

You can find out more about this product at nickchavezbeverlyhills.com.

lorac tantalizer deep body bronzing lumizer makeup review

LORAC TANtalizer Deep Body Bronzing Luminizer

Sample free with purchase from Ulta

This is the first bronzing makeup I have every tried and I have to say I quite like it. It makes my legs look like I just came back from a vacation to Aruba. You have to do quite a bit of blending to get it even on the skin, but the finish is very natural looking except for the glitter. There is a lot of glitter that is noticeable close up but from afar your legs look luminous. Let me make it clear that this is a bronzing makeup and not a self-tanning product;  It washes off with soap and water.  My only gripe about this product is that it settled into the hair follicles on my legs making me look like I have tiny brown spots all over. If anyone has used this product, is there some trick to stop this from happening?

Pros: gives a deep, luminous tan look; no tanning chemical smell; does not stain hands
Cons: too much glitter

You can find out more about this product at loraccosmetics.com.

crystal essence mineral deodorant towelettes pomegranate review


Sample from Eco Emi Subscription Box

The idea of deodorant in a towelette is new to me and frankly I was quite skeptical. However, this towelette lived up to its claims of being long lasting.  I used to freshen up after work before a yoga class when it was particularly warm out and it kept my body odor at bay for the rest of the night.  I used it on my underarms and on my feet.  It has a very light fruit smell that must be pomegranate scent.

Pros: refreshing; long-lasting; biodegradable; natural ingredients; portable
Cons: not for excessive sweating; plastic packaging is not biodegradable and therefore wasteful

You can find out more about this product at thecrystal.com.

the republic of tea watermelon mint iced black tea review

The Republic of Tea Watermelon Mint Iced Black Tea

Free Sample from The Republic of Tea

This is a black tea with mint and watermelon flavoring. It actually tastes like there is watermelon in it. It is quite refreshing brewed then poured over ice. Perfect for a summertime picnic or a lazy afternoon on the back porch.

Pros: tastes like the description; refreshing; eco-friendly unbleached tea bags
Cons: expensive

You can find out more about this product at therepublicoftea.com.

Comments

Popular Posts