Julep Wizard of Oz Collection

qvc julep maven the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary

For the 75th anniversary of the movie classic The Wizard of Oz, QVC is having a special sale on themed items. Julep has created an exclusive collection of four nail polishes based on the movie that come in a collectors case.


Just look at that pretty packaging! It is roughly the size of a DVD or book and has holographic images on the front, back, and on the inside.

qvc julep maven the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary

qvc julep the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary

qvc julep the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary

This collection would make a great gift for any fan of the movie. The holidays are approaching fast after all.

qvc julep maven the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary nail polish set, julep ruby slippers, julep tin man, julep glinda the good witch, julep emerald city

The collection includes: 
  • Ruby Slippers - red glitter topper
  • Tin Man - silver holographic
  • Glinda the good witch - nude pink frost
  • Emerald City - emerald green creme

These polishes did not come with the usual Julep Maven profiles so I have come up with one for each: 

Ruby Slippers for me is Bombshell because it's red glitter duh; Tin Man is holographic which is a newer trend so it's an It Girl; Glinda is definitely Classic with a Twist because it's a classic nude but it's also a frost finish, the twist; Emerald City is Boho Glam because it's a bold color that fits the free spirit attitude; There is no product with this so nothing for modern beauty unfortunatley.

Do you think these profiles fit?

qvc julep the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary nail polish swatches, julep ruby slippers swatch, julep tin man swatch, julep glinda the good witch swatch, julep emerald city swatch

L to R: Ruby Slippers, Tin Man, Glinda the good witch, Emerald City.  I used two coats for each.

This was my first time using the macro lens with my new DSLR. I used it before really knowing what I was doing and I apologize because these swatches are a bit dark and out of focus;  I had a really hard time getting it to focus.  I tried to fix them as much as I could with a photo editor, but the colors are more vibrant than this in real life.  Oh well, practice makes perfect.

qvc julep maven the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary nail polish set, julep ruby slippers swatches

L to R: Ruby Slippers (two coats), Ruby Slippers (one coat)

I have decided to switch from using nail swatch wheels to using these nail swatch sticks because it makes color comparisons easier. I personally like the off-white ones better, but I also got the clear ones to show the opacity of glitters such as this one. You can see that Ruby Slippers is buildable even though at one coat it is pretty thin.

qvc julep maven the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary nail polish set, julep ruby slippers swatch, julep america the beautiful swatch, julep scarlett swatch

L to R: America the beautiful, Ruby Slippers, Scarlett. I used two coats for each.

Reading comments on social media I came across questions regarding what the colors in this set compare to and one person said that Ruby Slippers was similar to Scarlett. Well, this is not true because Ruby Slippers is a red glitter topper with a clear base and Scarlett is a red polish with tiny red glitter or "shimmer" (Julep calls it a full-coverage glitter), plus it is slightly more pink toned. The glitter in Ruby Slippers is most similar to America the Beautiful which is another glitter topper with a clear base.

qvc julep maven the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary nail polish set, julep tin man swatch, julep rebel swatch

L to R: Tin Man, Rebel.  I used two coats of each.

While these two polishes are extremely similar, the difference is that Tin Man has more spectraflare than Rebel. Rebel is a tiny bit more flat looking.  I almost think that Tin Man looks more silver and Rebel looks more grey, but it's very hard to tell.

qvc julep maven the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary nail polish set, julep hoch swatch, julep emilie swatch, julep popova swatch, julep emerald city swatch

L to R: Hoch, Emilie, Popova, Emerald City. I used two coats of each.

These are shown darkest to lightest with Emerald City being the lightest of the three. It is noticeably lighter than the other three which were the most similar to it.

qvc julep maven the wizard of oz collection 75th anniversary nail polish set, julep ava swatch, julep glinda the good witch swatch, julep mindy swatch

L to R: Ava, Glinda the good witch, Mindy. I used two coats of each.

This color was the hardest to compare because Julep has a lot of light nude pinks that all look similar in the bottle. I picked the two that I think are the closest.  I was sure Glinda was the same color as Ava by looking at the bottles, but up close in macro you can see that Glinda is a slightly different tint instead of a repackaged color. You can also see dust and fuzz particles that are invisible to the naked eye ha ha.

Hopefully all these comparisons help you make an informed decision regarding this collection. Each of the colors are unique to the regular Julep line. This collection is limited edition, but the QVC hostess hinted that these colors may be available separately later on.

This collection was featured on QVC at 9pm EST 09/26/13 and retails for $38.

Comments

  1. Thank you for your swatches! :) I thought I needed Ruby Red Slippers, but I don't think I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I wanted this so bad! I am obsessed with the Wizard of Oz :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was super helpful! On Julep.com they put the swatch blob for Ava up instead of Glinda on accident, so I wanted to see how the two really compare. I've ordered it now, can't wait to get my hands on this set. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts