Weekly Sample Selections #11



For those new to the Weekly Sample Selections, each week I feature reviews of a handful of samples obtained from various sources.

benefit cosmetics the porefessional face primer sample review

Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional

Deluxe sample with purchase from Sephora

This primer is super lightweight and silky smooth.  It kept my skin matte and shine free for about 6 hours.  You can apply this over or under makeup to help it last and reduce shine.  I would say this product lives up to its claims and deserves its cult status.

Pros: minimizes the appearance of pores; reduces oily face shine; helps makeup last longer
Cons: a bit expensive considering you do not get a full ounce of product for this price

0.75 oz. product retails for $30.00 USD

You can find out more about this product at www.benefitcosmetics.com

number 4 high performance hair care clarifying shampoo sample review

Number 4 High Performance Hair Care Clarifying Shampoo

Sample from Birchbox subscription box service

This clarifying shampoo is safe for color treated hair and does not strip the hair of vital moisture.  It is gentle and does a good job of removing product buildup but does not work as well at removing excess oils as my go-to weekly clarifying shampoo, Frederic Fekkai Apple Cider Clarifying Shampoo.  I have color treated hair and an oily scalp and I find this gentle enough to use daily (I use it every other day because that is how frequently I cleanse my hair.)  This shampoo has a light floral musk scent.  This product is free of sulfates, sodium chloride and parabens.

Pros: gentle; safe for color treated hair; clarifying
Cons: expensive; if you have really oily hair you might need to supplement this with something else

8.5 oz. product retails for $32.00 USD

You can find out more about this product at www.number4hair.com

beauty protector protect and detangle sample review

Beauty Protector Protect and Detangle

Sample from Birchbox subscription service

This spray on detangler conditions and protects hair from heat and sun damage.  It is a light mist that does not leave hair feeling sticky or greasy.  It also prevents frizz.  The spray has a light floral and coconut scent.  This product is paraben and sulfate free, plus it's vegan.

Pros: conditions; detangles; protects; prevents frizz; vegan
Cons: none really that I can think of - some may not like the spray method?

8 oz. product retails for $21.95 USD

You can find out more about this product at www.birchbox.com

josie maran gogo instant natural volume argan mascara sample review

jose maran gogo instant natural volume argan mascara swatch test review

Josie Maran GOGO (Give one Get one) Instant Natural Volume Argan Mascara (Pitch Black)

Deluxe sample with purchase from Sephora

This natural mascara is great for everyday use because it adds natural looking volume and definition.  Infused with Argan oil, it moisturizes and nourishes lashes for healthy growth.  It is gentle on the eyelashes and is removable with water, yes that's right, just plain old water.  Don't get me wrong, it does not smudge or flake off during wear, it just removes with water.  I'm not sure how it would fare during a heavy crying session, but it works for everyday normal wear.

Pros: gentle; volumizing
Cons: might smudge when you cry

This product retails for $22.00 USD

You can find out more about this product at www.josiemarancosmetics.com

garnier skin renew dark spot treatment mask sample review

Garnier Skin Renew Dark Spot Treatment Mask

Purchased sample at Walgreens Drugstore

This face mask treats dark spots while hydrating the skin and features a facial cloth saturated with product that you stretch over your face.  I'm not sure what the advantage is of using a facial cloth over just putting the serum on your face.  I had some trouble unfolding the mask because it is so saturated with product that it sticks to itself;  Once open it was easy to stretch over my face.  Because the mask was practically dripping with product I decided to lay down on my bed for about 10 minutes to let it soak in rather than sit up because the product was running down into my eyes, nose and mouth.  Vitamin C is the main ingredient in this mask and may sting or burn sensitive areas like the eyes or any open sores.  The mask feels cool and soothing on the skin and I had a nice moment of relaxation while waiting for it to treat my face.  After the 10 minutes, I removed and discarded the mask then rubbed in the product remaining on my skin.  The next morning I could see that my skin looked brighter and my pores looked a little tighter.

Pros:  brightens; tightens pores; hydrating
Cons: vitamin c can sting or burn sensitive areas on the skin

6-pack product retails for about $14.99 USD (varies per location)

You can find out more about this product at www.garnierusa.com

Comments

Popular Posts