Weekly Sample Selections #15



For those new to the Weekly Sample Selections, each week I feature reviews of a handful of samples obtained from various sources.


Bumble and bumble Thickening Shampoo, Conditioner, and Hairspray

Deluxe sample with purchase from Sephora

The shampoo makes fine hair look and feel fuller.  It felt a bit sticky in my hair while washing and had a light fruity scent.  The conditioner moisturizes hair using ingredients that do not weigh hair down.  It also adheres to the hair strands and separates them for more fullness.  I left the conditioner in for a couple of minutes as recommended and it left my hair soft and full feeling.  I let my hair air dry most of the way before spraying my roots with the hairspray and then blow-drying.  All three products have the same light fruity scent, but the hairspray lingers the longest;  I am glad that it does not smell chemically like most hairsprays.  All three products gave me Texas style big hair volume as promised, but it did not last longer than a day.  Another great set of products from Bumble and bumble.

Pros: adds fullness; adds volume; light-weight moisture; 
Cons: expensive; volume does not last for more than a day

8 oz. BB Thickening Shampoo retails for $24.00 USD
8 oz. BB Thickening Conditioner retails for $25.00 USD
8 oz. BB Thickening Hairspray retails for $28.00 USD

You can find out more about this product at bumbleandbumble.com and sephora.com


Dr. Dennis Gross Extra Strength Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel

Sample with purchase from Sephora

As I have said before, I am new to the world of facial peels.  The only other peel product I have used is the REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask, review here, and liked it.  This two-step treatment was very gentle and left my skin feeling baby soft and smooth and noticeably lighter color (it took away some of my summer tan.)  It did not sting or burn at all.  You use the first pad to exfoliate (peel) and the second to moisturize and reduce any irritation.  This product says that it is safe for daily use and I can see this being used as a maintenance treatment to improve skin over time, but I feel like I need a deep treatment to get rid of my dark spots, acne scars, and the beginnings of wrinkles on my forehead.  The amount of acids in this product will only penetrate the skin so deep, so as to remove the very top layers, essentially the dead stuff that needs to be removed to keep pores clear and keep skin looking healthy and smooth.  This is a nice daily treatment that will be good for those that are worried about blackheads because it cleared the ones on my nose which made my pores shrink slightly.

Pros: diminishes wrinkles; reduces pore size; reduces dark spots; improves skin tone and texture; for all skin types
Cons: does not target deep wrinkles; does not diminish scars

Sephora has a sample size 5-pack that retails for $15.00 USD if you just want to try out this product or are looking for a travel pack. They also have a special on a 30-pack that comes with 5 extra for $86.00 USD.

You can find out more about this product at dgskincare.com and sephora.com


Cover FX Matte Setting Powder (Light)

Deluxe sample with purchase from Sephora

This powder is great for oily skin because it is mattifying and is free of the "inflammatory 5" ingredients: mineral oil, parabens, fragrance, talc, and gluten.  It comes in three shades: Light, Medium, and Deep.  I usually use translucent setting powders because they do not alter the color of my foundations, but the Light color blended well with my skin tone.  I found this setting powder to be finely milled and easy to apply all over the face, neck and decolletage.  It was non-irritating and mattifying without drying out my skin which is a concern in the winter months.  It lasted over eight hours while keeping my face shine free.  Overall, I really like this powder and am glad that I got such a large sample from Sephora;  It is half the size of the full-size product.

Pros: great for oily skin types; mattifying; non-irritating; long-lasting
Cons: need more colors for more skin tones; expensive

This product retails for $42.00 USD

You can find out more about this product at coverfx.com and sephora.com


The Balm Cosmetics What's Your Type? The Bodybuilder Mascara

Sample from Ipsy subscription service

This black mascara plumps lashes to give them volume using vitamin E, bamboo, and panthenol which is a derivative of vitamin B5 and is used as a moisturizer/lubricant.  These ingredients help keep lashes healthy and full.  It is easy to apply multiple coats for maximum volume.  Unfortunately, there was some flaking, but that could be because I have had this mascara for a long time and it might be drying out.

Pros: volumizing; conditioning
Cons: some flaking

This product retails for $19.00 USD

You can find out more about this product at thebalm.com and lovelyskin.com


Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil

Sample with purchase from Sephora

For as long as this has been around, I am surprised that I have not tried it sooner.  This wonder oil is good for just about anything;  Josie even claims you can use it as a salad dressing.  I have been using it on the ends of my hand for an added dose of moisture and to prevent flyaways and frizz.  I have tried mixing a few drop of this with my body lotion for added moisture.  I have also tried using this as a cuticle oil, and a little bit goes a long way.  You don't even need a drop per finger like most cuticle oils;  That turned out to be way too much oil on my hands, but it soaked into my hands quickly for luxurious yet lightweight moisture.  One to two drops per hand is all you need.  Once this oil soaks in, the skin does not feel oily at all.  I can't think of any reason why one should not own this product.

Pros: multi-use; nourishes skin; organic
Cons: non that I can think of

1.7 oz. bottle of this product retails for $48.00 USD

You can find out more about this product at josiemarancosmetics.com and sephora.com

Comments

Popular Posts