Weekly Sample Selections #16



For those new to the Weekly Sample Selections, each week I feature reviews of a handful of samples obtained from various sources.

kate somerville 3 steps to flawless review, sephora 500 point reward

kate somerville 3 steps to flawless review, sephora 500 point reward

Kate Somerville 3-Steps to Flawless

Sephora 500-point Beauty Insider Reward

This set includes sample sizes of the Detox Daily Cleanser, ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment, and the Oil Free Moisturizer.  The gel cleanser feels gentle on the skin and has a strong citrus scent. You only need a pea size amount to wash the face, neck, and decolletage.  However, after the skin is dry it becomes tight and uncomfortable which is where the moisturizer comes in.  It is creamy, but not thick and absorbs into the skin quickly without feeling greasy.  My skin seemed to drink up the moisturizer because I felt like I was using a lot, but my skin did not feel like there was moisturizer on it.  The moisturizer made my skin the perfect grease free canvas for makeup.  I have only used the ExfoliKate once so far because the directions state that it is to be used once or twice a week.  It is dark green with a gritty texture and kind of smells like the toothpaste my dentist uses.  Once applied to the skin I notice the fruit enzyme scent like apples maybe?  It gently exfoliated my skin leaving it nice and soft.

The first thing I noticed after using these products was an immediate improvement in my acne.  After a couple of days, I started to break out again but not as bad as normal.

Pros: cleanses; moisturizes; exfoliates; improves acne
Cons: the cleanser and exfoliater are drying

4 oz. Kate Somerville Detox Daily Cleanser retails for $32.00 USD
2 oz. Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment retails for $85.00 USD
1.7 oz. Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisturizer retails for $65.00 USD

You can learn more about these products at katesomerville.comsephora.com

caudalie beauty elixir limited edition by l'wren scott review

Caudalie Beauty Elixir Limited Edition by L'Wren Scott

Travel size from Sephora

The Beauty Elixir is supposed to refresh the complexion by tightening pores, smoothing the appearance of fine lines, and boosting skin radiance.  I picked up travel sizes of both the regular version and the limited edition bottle by fashion designer L'Wren Scott.  This product has a heavy fragrance which is supposed to be all natural using grape, orange blossom, rose, balm mint, and rosemary.  When spritzed on the skin it is refreshing and cooling.  I have been using it after the Kate Somerville Daily Detox Cleanser under the Oil Free Moisturizer.  I have not seen any skin improvement from it alone.  I toss the bottle in my purse and use it simply as a cooling spray for when my skin feels dry during the day.  It is a nice luxurious little pick me up.

Pros: refreshing; cooling
Cons: fragrance may be too strong for those with sensitivities

1 oz. Caudalie Beauty Elixir Limited Edition by L'Wren Scott retails for $18.00 USD

You can learn more about this product at us.caudalie.comsephora.com

mai couture blush paper sunset blvd review, mai couture highlighter paper st barts review

mai couture blush paper sunset blvd review swatch, mai couture highlighter paper st barts review swatch

Mai Couture Blush (Sunset Blvd.) and Highlighter (St. Barts) Papers

Free sample with purchase from Mai Couture

Mai Couture takes the idea of blotting papers one step further from removing oil to depositing products onto the skin.  These handy papers are easy to stow in your bag for last minute application or touch ups.  They are not the easiest thing to apply because the paper wants to stick to your face while you are trying to smooth it on;  It takes some getting used to.  I found that a swipe and blot motion seemed to work the best.  The Sunset Blvd. blush is a peachy pink color that mimics a natural flush.  It is sheer and took a lot of swiping to get enough product on my skin.  The St. Barts highlighter is an orangey peach color with golden highlight.  Like the blush it is sheer and natural looking on the skin.  It was easier than the blush to apply.  I pulled a Michelle Phan and applied it to my eyelids as well.  These wore well for about 6 hours.  I think that I would like these better if they were more pigmented, but it is a good idea.

Pros: travel friendly; natural looking
Cons: not very pigmented

A Mai Couture Blush Papier booklet contains 50 sheets and retails for $17.50 USD
The Mai Couture Highlighter Papier booklet contains 50 sheets and retails for $28.00 USD

You can find out more about these products at maicouture.com

living proof nourishing styling cream review

Living Proof Nourishing Styling Cream

Sample from Ipsy (MyGlam) subscription service

My hair lives in perpetual frizz mode so a product like this is right up my alley.  You can apply this lightweight cream to damp or dry hair.  You don't need a lot, just a pea sized amount coats my long hair from top to bottom.  It helps combat frizz by blocking humidity and conditions my hair.  Another great product from Living Proof.

Pros: conditions; tames frizz; free of silicones and heavy oils
Cons: expensive

4 oz. Living Proof Nourishing Styling Cream retails for $26.00 USD

You can find out more about this product at livingproof.comsephora.comulta.com

le volume de chanel mascara review

Le Volume de Chanel Mascara (10 Noir)

Free deluxe sample from Chanel

This mascara is supposed to "achieve shocking volume in a single stroke."  Well, I don't know if I got a bad sample or what, but this mascara did not do that.  It was goopy and felt very heavy on my lashes for some reason.  It gave my lashes the normal amount of volume, nothing special which is unusual for a Chanel mascara.  The Inimitable is much better and I was highly disappointed by this one.  This mascara comes in four colors: noir, prune, and bleu, and khaki bronze.

Pros: volumizes
Cons: goopy/sticky/heavy on the lashes; expensive

This product retails for $30.00 USD

You can learn more about this product at chanel.comnordstrom.com

Comments

  1. I did a review on Exfolikate and absolutely love it! In fact, I have it as my #1 ranked exfoliator over at www.Exfoliate.com. There's some other really great exfoliators out there but this is the best right now :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts