La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral Sunscreen [Review]

La Roche Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid Review

If you read my last post about items I purged at the end of last year, you will know that La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral Sunscreen was one of them. I have a rule of thumb that is to only keep sunscreens for one year because they contain active ingredients that deteriorate fast. If I want to ensure the efficacy of the product I am using to keep skin cancer at bay I need to make sure the ingredients are as active and fresh as possible.

This is a mineral based sunscreen meaning the active ingredients (minerals) Titanium Dioxide and Zinc create a physical barrier on the skin that repels UVA/UVB rays as opposed to a chemical sunscreen which absorbs the rays without harming the skin. 

There is always the debate over which is better: physical or chemical?  Some people prefer mineral/physical sunscreens because they think that they are more natural than chemical sunscreens, but this is untrue.  The refinement process used in making Titanium Dioxide usable in this way makes it no more natural than any of the active ingredients in chemical sunscreens.  Also, some people prefer mineral based sunscreens because they are better for sensitive skin types.  I used to only use mineral sunscreens because chemical sunscreens would cause me to have breakouts.  However, chemical sunscreens have advanced over the years and I can now use either without problems (the trick is to do a double cleanse after using any sunscreen.)

Anthelios is a very popular sunscreen and has won beauty awards from the likes of Allure Magazine and more. Beauty editors rave about this product because it is lightweight, mattifying, and wears well under makeup. It also has the added benefit of antioxidants to help repair photoaging thanks to La Roche-Posay's Cell-Ox Shield antioxidant blend.

So what does this product contain?

Ingredients: (Active) Titanium dioxide 6%, Zinc oxide 5%. (Inactive) Water, Isododecane, C12 13 Alkyl Benzoate, Dimethicone, Undecane, Triethylhexanoin, Isohexadecane, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Nylon 12, Caprylyl Methicone, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Phenethyl Benzoate, Silica, Tridecane, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Dicaprylyl Ether, Talc, Dimethicone PEG 10/15 Crosspolymer, Aluminum Stearate, Pentylene Glycol, PEG 9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Alumina, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Magnesium Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Aluminum Hydroxide, PEG 8 Laurate, Stearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Diethylhexyl Syringylidenemalonate, Tocopherol, Propylene Carbonate, Cassia Alata (Candle Tree) Leaf Extract, Maltodextrin, Benzoic Acid, PEG 9.

Claims: Matte Finish, Non-Whitening,  Water-Resistant,  Fragrance-Free,  Paraben-Free,  Tested on Sensitive Skin,  Dermatologist Tested,  Allergy Tested,  Non-Comedogenic

The liquid is very lightweight and dries to a matte finish without whitening as claimed.  I suppose it is water-resistant because I never felt it running down my face in the heat from sweat.  I did not swim at all last year so I cannot attest to how it holds up in that area.  It did not cause me to breakout which is always a plus in my book.  In fact the only thing I did not like about this product is the smell.  It smells like straight up lighter fluid.  I have used lots of mineral sunscreens and none of them ever smelled like this so it is quite odd.  The claims do say fragrance-free but dang!  

You have to shake the bottle before use which also reminds me of a can of butane.  After shaking the bottle you pour the liquid onto your hands and apply.  The liquid is really thin and runny so be careful when pouring it out as it is easy to overdo it.

There is one other thing I do not like about this product: the price!  La Roche-Posay retails this product for $33.50, but you can find it as low as $20 through some retailers plus there are always sales and coupons.  It is still a cost prohibitive item as there are many other great sunscreens priced far less than this.

This product lasted me about 3 months using it in the mornings during the week (I work inside all day so I don't feel the need to re-apply.) I might use more on the weekends depending on if I was going to be outside more that day. There is still product left in the bottle, probably enough for another month or so. Because it is a thin liquid you don't need to use as much as a cream sunscreen and so the bottle lasts longer.

Pros: lightweight, non-whitening, water-resistant, great for sensitive skin, additional skin benefits from antioxidants

Cons: smells bad, expensive

Final Opinion: This is a really good sunscreen that is good for those with sensitive skin or who suffer from acne.  The lightweight texture makes it great for wearing under makeup.  It is expensive, but it lasts a long time so it may be worth it if it lasts longer than a cream sunscreen of the same size.  The only thing I can't get over is the smell.  I think this product would benefit from a slight bit of fragrance to offset the bad smell.  It doesn't have to smell like roses, I just don't want it to smell like lighter fluid.

What do you think of this product? Have you tried it?

Disclaimer: Item shown was purchased.

Comments

Popular Posts